The Mercy Sisters came to Tipperary Town in 1864 and the following year they moved to Rosanna, where The Convent and St. Anne’s Secondary School are still located. Almost immediately, a primary school was opened and by the end of the century, there were several hundred pupils attending the school. This was located near the Convent Chapel.
In the early 1870’s a three-storey building was built on the site as an industrial school for girls. This building forms the main part of St. Anne’s Secondary School today. The Industrial School continued to function until 1922.
Prior to 1897, some degree of post-primary education had been provided, but, from that year, St. Anne’s operated as a secondary school under the Board of Intermediate (Secondary) Education.
In the 1960’s, the primary school, St. Joseph’s, moved to its present location and the older buildings underwent considerable renovation and extension. In the 1970’s, a new staff-room and classrooms were built. In the 1980’s, a new science block and stairway were added. In 1996, the whole complex was extensively renovated as the first phase of an on-going development plan. During all this time St. Anne’s was under the trusteeship of the Mercy Sisters.
Since 2007, St. Anne’s is under the trusteeship of CEIST, (Catholic Education, an Irish Schools Trust). St. Anne’s Secondary School continues to promote the values of its founders, the Sisters of Mercy, in the 21st Century.